Monday, August 17, 2009

Zee Vedding

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the name of God, the most Beneficent, the most Merciful


Mr. & Mrs. Ammi Abbu request the pleasure of your company at the marriage ceremony of their beloved son

Bhaijaan
with
Bhabi Jaan

D/o Mr. & Mrs Auntie Uncle, on today's date, at momsdaughter.blogspot.com

Please grace this occasion with your presence and bless the couple with your prayers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to my brother's wedding! I've been waiting to write this post for the longest time, and now I'm in the mood to do it. The actual wedding was on the 9th of August, 2009. Let me start by replaying the day before the wedding. Lots still had to be done from our side. The sweets had to be ordered, the groom's room had to be decorated, the house needed yet another cleaning do-over, the car had to be decorated, its supplies had to be bought, I needed a memory card for my camera, the bride's jewellery which goes from the groom's side had to be packed, the bari (dowry) had to be packed, the men had to do their full-dress rehearsal, I had to iron my wedding clothes, the gifts that we had for the bride after she came home had to be packed, and other things that I can't remember right now. My middle brother and I were taking care of the arrangements. That day was just crazy. So finally at around 2 AM, we were done with everything. I was so exhaused that I didn't even feel like putting mehndi on. I just wanted to sleep. But this being my eldest bro's wedding and all, I finally got the energy and put the damned mehndi on, only to find out that it was way too friggin runny and didn't even last me for two days! And in all of this, my room was the dumping ground for the entire house - they all just threw their stuff in my room. It was a miracle I was able to sleep on my bed that night.

Then the day of the wedding. The stupid air conditioning broke down. We had the hottest day of the year, and the a/c wasn't working! It was raining cats and dogs in the morning. Bhaiyya and I had to go get the trays for the sweets, then the sweets themselves. I've already talked about the language fail at the sweet shop. Anyway, when we saw the rain, we decided not to decorate the car. What would be the point? So we decided on that and just decorated the car's interior. Then the sweets had to be packed, and I had to reach the beauty parlour at 2:30. When I left my home, the stupid sun had decided to shine! There was no sign left of the rain. Zilch. But by then we had no time to decorate the car. So I got my hair and make-up done, and went back home. My uncle's family arrived at our house a few minutes later. It was very hot and muggy. Finally, the baraat left, from our house, and we reached the banquet hall. The men looked very handsome in their tuxes mashaAllah. My cousins looked like dolls in traditional clothes. Chacchi and I accidentally ended up wearing the same aqua-blue. We were one well-dressed baraat though!

The baraat was received by the bride's family, aunts, uncle and a few cousins. The men got buttonieres. Auntie tied gajray on us ladies' (me and my chacchi's) wrists. The bride's father put a rose haar around the groom's neck. We were welcomed in the hall by the bride's (and mine!) friends and her cousins, who threw rose petals on us. The groom was accompanied to the stage by the bride's father and brothers.



Then there were a lot of pictures taken. And I mean lots! Some of our guests had come before us. So me being the "woman of the house", went and met with all of them. It was a nice gathering. Then came the moment of truth - the Nikah. The bride's witness disappeared! When he was found, the Nikah ceremony started. I don't know if the Maulana was new at this job or was just confused, he wanted my brother to say that he (my brother) "takes sister so and so to be his lawfully wedded wife..". I remember smiling at my brother who was making faces, and then I guess the Maulana realized what he was saying. I was busy taking pictures this whole time (with my camera which can now hold 2700 pictures!). After the Nikah, the men hugged and congratulated the groom. I just wanted to push thhrough the crowd and hug my brother. I had a bigger right than all the men surrounding him to hug him and congratulate him. Before I could devise a plan to accomplish just that though, ladies started congratulating me. So I postponed talking to my brother for the time being and just accepted the many hearty congratulations from the good people who had decided to join us in our happiness. These were the same people who were there with us at our most difficult time, so I trust these people's love and sincerity. When I finally got a chance to talk to my brother, I found out that all my brothers and dad had already congratualted him, and were then hogging the stage. Anyway, I went to him and we just smiled at each other. That's how we exchanged congratulations. Right after the Nikah, we distributed the "Nikah goodies" - Choohaaray, bataashay, candy, naz pan masala (no clue how to say these things in English), individually handpacked in the world's cutest looking boxes (my choice!)

A few minutes later, my very gorgeous sister-in-law who was looking drop-dead gorgeous as a bride mashaAllah, entered the hall with her parents on either side of her, and her brothers behind her. It was one of the best moments in my life to receive her as the sixth member of our family. Who knew I could get so lucky as to have my bestest friend as my bhabi?! al-Hamdulillah. My dad looked so pleased mashaAllah. The groom got up to receive his bride. What a couple mashaAllah! Then there were lots of pictures with the bride and groom, the families, the relatives, the family friends, the friends. The bride's cousins then did "Doodh Pilaayee" (milk drinking lol), where they ask the couple to drink milk from the same glass, groom first, and then they get money from the groom. It's just a friendly combat of words between cousins of both parties and it's meant to be taken light heartedly. After my brother and sister-in-law had the milk, they asked for $10,000! I have never seen our family so united than we were then at protesting at the atrocity! $10,000 can buy milk for the entire city, and these clowns were asking that much for a glass?! No way. Eeeeventuuuuuaaaaally we settled at $300. But who has the money? The groom took out his wallet... it was empty. He got some $20 bills from his coat pocket. It added up to a 100 I think. Then came out the 10's, then the 5's! I thought he'd start counting pennies then. From one pocket, his comb came out! It was just hilarious. Even the bride was laughing. Eventually he got the full $300. By then the dinner was served.

While the guests ate, the couple had their photo shoot. Good food, good food. When the couple came in, most people were done with their food. The bride sat at a table with her friends, the groom had his food with his brothers, and then they both sat at the same table and had their dessert together. By then it was just the two families left. The rain had started and believe it or not, it hailed too that night! In August! After a few more photos, we asked the bride's family for permission to leave. It was a heart touching moment. Parents sending their beloved daughter off to live in a new family, a new environment. My dad hugged her father and assured him that now she has two dads who love her very very much. Our uncle came to our house with us. In our family, the new bride eats something sweet when she first comes home. So we fed her some mithaayee. Our family had gifts for the couple. After a few more pictures, we decided that it had been a long day and they needed to rest now. That was the end to one of the most joyous occasions of my life. I've thanked God profusely and I'll continue to do so for as long as I can.

Thank you for attending. I hope you enjoyed yourself. Please remember us in your prayers, especially in the blessed month of Ramadan.

3 comments:

Loser said...

They asked for 10,000!!!

And took them ages to come below.

Ambareen said...

Fixed it!

Change your display name man. No brother of mine is a loser.

Ambareen said...

Plus I was more concentrated at laughing, so I kinda missed the original "asking amount".